How do I provide advisors basic access to my course?
Open the main course page
Open Course Manager
Course (Context) Manager
Open the permissions tab.
Course (Context) Manager | Permissions
- By default the Course (Context) Manager opens to the Administrator role setting which cannot be changed by the course faculty
- Roles which have access to the course are listed here and can be selected in order to edit their permissions
- Select "+Add context role" to create a custom "context role"
- "Non-roster" students and "guest" Faculty can be added to the course and receive the same access and permissions provided to Roster students and assigned Faculty
After selecting "+Add context role"
- Name the new role
- For very specific roles a member may be added individually
- Because the Advisor role exists already, simply check the box ( all myCIA users with the role of Advisor will be granted the access that you provide)
- Select "Save"
- The context role "Advisors" is selected
- Select "Can View" for pages you would like the context role to view (After it is selected "Can View" will be highlighted in black or very dark gray)
- The context role can be updated with additional members or simply deleted
- Changes to this page save automatically
Adding a "context role" will not provide access to assignments or the grade book features. If a person needs access to view and/or edit these areas they will need to be made either a "Non-roster" students and "guest" Faculty. Learn more about adding "Non-roster" students and "guest" Faculty